Tuesday, October 11, 2005

DIAMONDS & HORSEHIDE: What the Market Will Bear

After the Angels eliminated the Yankees -- an act which made it that much harder to root against them -- I took a quick spin by the White Sox website to see what tickets to the ALCS were going for.

Without getting into numbers, let's just say that taking my wife for a night out at New Comiskey Park would cost me only slightly less than the total price of our wedding. Not counting hot dogs and Pepsi.

I try not to be bitter about these things, because it's bad for the psyche and because the television will show me every exciting moment. But I can't help think about the fact that more than half of the "fans" at tonight's game probably didn't attend a single regular season contest. People go because they can. It seems like people should go because they want to.

On the other hand, I attended a Gloria Estefan concert several years back. I would describe my feelings towards Ms. Estefan as "indifferent at best." And yet, someone offered me a ticket, so I went. It was fairly entertaining. And I may have deprived some rabid Gloria Estefan of the chance to see her perform.

I guess what I'm really saying is, I would like someone to offer me a ticket to the White Sox-Angels game.

0 comments: