Tuesday, October 18, 2005

BRIC-A-BRAC: Foot on the Gas, Foot on the Brake

In a recent column about podcasts, Slate Magazine asked why it was so hard for people to keep producing episodes. I suppose the answer is because so many people treat it like a hobby. Like learning guitar or something. They spend the money, they read the books, they produce a show or two, and then they get bored and move on. The die-hards keep going, and they'll be the ones who get remembered somewhere down the way.

Clearly, blogs work on the same principle. You have to be committed. And in the early going, I'm not really giving this my all. I'll try and rectify that as we go along.

I have this romantic notion that there will be different kinds of columns. For example, this falls under the rubric of BRIC-A-BRAC, which is meant to signify a catch-all category. This posting could be about anything. And we've already kicked-off DIAMONDS AND HORSEHIDE, a column focusing on my interest in baseball. On the subject, two observations:
- I hate that title. I'm thinking of a better one.
- Go Sox. And go Astros. I will relish the chance to watch a series where I genuinely want both teams to win.

Anyway, I am hoping to get a few other columns started in the near future, relating to other interests and fancies. Among them:
- PAGE TURNER, a discussion of writing, especially my attempts to finish this blasted book I started two years ago.
- FINAL CUT, focusing on films, screen writing and moviegoing.
- TOMORROWLAND, which creates an unholy alliance between the space program and science fiction.

And several others. Including two that I'm particularly looking forward to starting, but can't just yet. I'm going to be a tease and save a discussion of them for later. When they're ready to go.

How silly is this? I'm teasing columns before anyone is actually reading this site. Pretty silly.

The point is, I need to write more. This is a decent place to start.

2 comments:

Arnie said...

Consider me teased.

Brandi. said...

Yes, a regular update to a blog is a good thing. Good luck.