Wednesday, January 31, 2007

When I Run For Office Someday, My Failed Blog Promises Will Come Back to Haunt Me

You see, by posting today, it looks like I'm getting in at least a post a month, and not that I've let almost two whole months go by. We'll call that creative timekeeping.

Hi. I'm sorry. I officially stink at this. By my estimate, there are about 14 people who read this thing on a regular basis. That should be read-like-red, but it turns out to be read-like-reed, since my last post, managed to pick up two additional comments weeks after the fact. That's embarrassing. If you can't keep the 14 happy, you're just no good at what you do.

I could make some excuses. I've got good ones. Legitimate ones, even. There was Christmas, for example. That was busy. The Wilsons had their first ever Christmas tree, and at the risk of sounding really smug, it looked really nice. So much so that we didn't get around to taking it down until Monday. Yes, Monday the 29th of January. Hey, what do you expect? If I can't blog consistently, you think I'm gonna strike the tree in a timely fashion? So, yeah, there's the Christmas thing.

And then there's the job situation. As I mentioned way back last time, my time with Jellyvision came to an end. Just over a month ago, now that I think about it. That was obviously sad, although the final nail in the coffin was when Arnie posted a picture on his blog that revealed Michele, the producer, had taken over my old desk. Didn't even wait for the monitor to get cold. Ah, c'est la vie.

But that's not a legitimate complaint, since I was able to acquire new employment almost immediately. As per the norm, I don't feel entirely comfortable talking about what I'm doing right this second. But I think I can safely say that I'm editing material for a website that explains how to do various things. And since I'm only editing the doing-things material, and not actually doing any of the things, that probably doesn't explain away the blog thing. Rats.

There was quite a bit of activity when Whirled News Tonight made a movie. Or, to be more accurate, a pilot for a prospective web series. The show is called "Kyle's In a Coma," and I think is a real tribute to the talent of my colleagues, because even though the type of humor displayed in the show is far different from what we usually showcase, and even though the process of making the show as a work-for-hire by a major entertainment entity was -- and I'm really choosing my words carefully here -- unexpectedly challenging, in spite of everything, it still turned out pretty funny. Our all-powerful overlords liked it enough that they're looking for other projects for us to work on, so we've got that going for us. Unfortunately, my involvement in this particular project was fairly limited, so it's no excuse for not blogging. Still, it's ours, so it might be worth a watch. The content is very PG-13, so if you take offense at things, you might want to give it a pass. Otherwise, you can see it here.

So really, what excuse do I have? None. I'm just a bad blogger. But it's a new year. In fact, it's about 1/12 of the way into a new year. So I'm going to give this one more try. I've seen lots of movies. Read lots of books. Generated all kinds of opinions. There's got to be something to write about in there. So let's give it a shot.

My former boss, Amanda, suggested that my blog entries were too long. Nobody wants to read all that, she said. And she may be on to something. I should try shorter entries. That might get me to write more, and get more people to read the blog. Hey, I should try that. Short articles.

Ah. Okay, maybe the next one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Shane. I check everyday, so it's nice to see your back.

Anonymous said...

For the record, I think I said that *I* don't want to read long stuff, but only because I'm simple minded and short attention-spanned. Yet, I actually do read your blog - all of it. So short or long, count me as 15.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I'll be damned. He lives!! Thanks for giving me one more thing to do besides ACTUAL WORK. - holly

Karen said...

Hi, I'm one of those late to the party readers.

Dude no pressure. It's your blog.

It is good to know you have another writing job. :-)

Anonymous said...

The blog... She IS back!

This explains your relief at seeing a home with Christmas decorations still up on Eddy Street.

Good to be reading again.

Ted Price said...

You were away?????