Wednesday, March 08, 2006

THE DAMNED HUMAN RACE: An Open Letter to Kip Hawley, Director of the Transportation Security Administration

Dear Mr. Hawley,

So far in calendar year 2006, I have had four opportunities to board planes, at four of this nation's major airports. I wanted to talk to you a little bit about that experience.

Like everyone these days, I spent plenty of time in a long line, weaving through stanchions and waiting expectantly for the moment when I get to take off my belt and shoes. I dutifully followed all instructions, removing the loose change that the metal detector would undoubtedly recognize as some sort of weaponry. I watched as an x-ray screener and his dim-bulb traineee stared for ages at the screen, laughing as they attempted to identify the mysterious object in my luggage (it was probably a phone charger). I played ball.

Mr. Hawley, I love my country. I believe in the proud history of America as a birthplace for freedom and democracy. And I believe that any nation has the right to protect its citizens, to guarantee them the life and liberty that is their birthright.

I also love life. I have absolutely no wish to die. Although my life is not perhaps the most ideal life I could envision for myself, I'm enjoying living it immensely, and have no desire to give it up. Especially not in an explosive conflagration thousands of feet off the ground.

I need you to understand where I'm coming from, because I have something very important to tell you about the heightened security measures that have been in effect for 4½ years now: I AM NOT SAFER.

There is conclusive evidence that terrorists don't try to repeat past triumphs. Their best weapon is imagination, and they catch us off guard by doing things we haven't thought of before. So I find it astonishing that we are spending so much time, money and effort into trying to prevent the kind of attacks that will never be repeated. We just can't seem to get that barn door closed, while the horses are long gone.

Perhaps that's what really frustrates me. I don't FEEL any safer. All I really feel is inconvenienced. If I thought that taking my belt off was actually going to save some lives, I might not be so cavalier. But from what I can tell, all I'm really doing is proving the ability of a metal detector to detect metal. As if the only damage a person could do is with metal.

On a side note, I have to tell you that your employees? With their red blazers and TSA badges? They're a little drunk with power. They aren't friendly. (Even regular policemen are expected to treat the citizenry with some respect.) They're unaccountably pushy. (Don't try and handle my bag before it's even on the conveyor belt. You're here to screen the bags, not temporarily own them.) They use their uniform and the importance of their position to intimidate the very people they're actually supposed to be serving. Another reason I don't feel safe is that I feel the people who are supposed to be protecting me hold me and my brainpower in utter contempt. I'm happy to return the favor.

Kip, you're probably thinking that the measures in place are peanuts compared to what you could be doing. Look at Israel. It's pretty impressive that El Al, the Israeli national airline, has never had a hijacking, never had a terrorist incident. That's a tribute to the incredibly strict security procedures in place. Every bag is carefully scanned. Planes are thoroughly searched. Every passenger is given a background check, and may be subjected to intensive questioning at the gate. No stone is left unturned. And they're incredibly safe.

But I'm not convinced that this is any way to live. Israel has to take these steps, because Israel is permanently under siege. Someday, maybe, every nation around Israel won't want to wipe it off the face of the map. Until that happy day, Israel considers itself under permanent attack. And they take prudent steps. But I wouldn't want to live there.

Officials in this administration have begun referring to their efforts to fight terrorism as "the long war". That sounds to me like a bunker mentality. It sounds to me like we've adopted the Israeli approach to security. Which means we plan to live in fear. Swell. It used to be that fear was the only thing we should be afraid of.

You've collected a lot of pocketknives and cigarette lighters. You've probably made some money in fines off the idiots who loudly joke that they're carrying pipe bombs. And you've opened up a whole new employment opportunity in the field of bag checking. But all you've really done is increase security presence, not security. And you've helped to make air travel, once the height of adventure and glamour, a thoroughly depressing experience.

Last December, my wife and I took Amtrak to Milwaukee to catch a flight out of that airport. The only line we waited in was the line to board the train. We weren't scanned or pushed around. We removed no clothing. We arrived safely and on time. It was bliss.

I don't know if train travel falls under your purview. Don't get any ideas.

Sincerely yours,
Shane Wilson

2 comments:

Ted Price said...

P.S. - could you please consider a little uniformity when it comes to your screening? Specifically, don't make me guess from airport to airport when or if I need to take my shoes off for the metal detector. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, sometimes it matters what shoes I am wearing, other times.... you get the idea.

Can we at least do what Knoxville does (I can't believe I just typed that myself)? That airport has a handy devise you stick your foot into before walking thru the detector. So, no more guessing, keep the shoes on, put your feet into the little gizmo and you are on your way.

It's bad enough I have to practically get undressed while waiting in line then try to find some uncrowded area afterwards to put all of my clothes back together and gather my stuff - at least let me keep my shoes on.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11863165/